View in Google Maps


This blog has moved. The new blog is here: https://tokyot2.wordpress.com/

Web Search Tokyo-t Google


Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Japanese Signs...

Believe me when I tell you that there are entire websites devoted to this topic. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a book or two floating around out there. Their hilarity stems from two things:

1. Engrish
2. What I believe to be completely different logical thinking from English speakers.

For example:

Engrish:
"Everyime I finish smoking a cigarrette, I realise I should have brought a portable ashtray with me."

So "rain is to umbrella, as cigarette is to portable ashtray"(?)

Incorrect.

Translation:
"You carry an umbrella in case you don't want to get wet, so why don't you carry a portable ashtray in case you want to smoke?"

Let's look at this one:

Engrish:
"I threw my cigarrette butt into the drain. That is to say I hid it in the drain."

Translation:
"Don't throw your cigarrette butts in the drain."(?)

Correct.

Now you try:

Here's my translation:
"Everytime the sun is shinning, and I see a giant cigarette as big as a man with a bird perched atop it, I introduce it to a friend.."

Incorrect.

Basically I think this one means to say that...I have no idea what that sign says..

What's your translation?
Don't be annoyed if you don't get it the first time; remember, Japanese is a language whose characters are originally based on pictures...they do this all day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home