View in Google Maps


This blog has moved. The new blog is here: https://tokyot2.wordpress.com/

Web Search Tokyo-t Google


Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More Japanese Products

There are some foods I didn't like when I first got here that I have now developed a taste for. This is not one of them. I like my tentacles just as much as the next guy, but nothing could have prepared me for the culinary experience that was to be me trying to eat this 'snack'.

Imagine, if you will, the tentacles that have been cut off of a squid then somewhat dried for your eating pleasure. Then pickle these tentacles with some spice similar to salt prunes - except without the salt...and the flavor. Finally put these tentacles into a bag and seal it - hereby allowing the aroma of dried, pickled tentacle from a time long gone to marinate in a small, airtight area. Open the bag...stick your nose in it and breathe in...deeply...mmmmm...now sink your teeth into the squishy, chewy goodness.

I was able to get past the smell after a few dry heaves, but once I put it in my mouth and started chewing and the juices came out, the only reaction I could have was to open my mouth and let it fall out of there right there in front of the store. I don't think I'll be trying these again for a couple of months...


Next on the agenda; "Depresso". One of my favorite pep (げんき)drinks. Depresso is actually just a coffee drink. I don't know who named this drink, but it was probably the same guy that came up with 'Pocari Sweat'. It's especially unfunny since Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Someone thought it was a good idea - go figure.





Next we have this gem. I don't really have to say anything about this one...

















But this? Well...I don't know where to begin with this. Maybe I can start with the name; seems like an issue one might want to steer clear of here. Yet here it is...in the store...at eye level. Maybe I could go off on the colours - do you see that hot pink one in the background? Yeah, that's the one I want. It really doesn't matter which design you choose because they are all equally distasteful. I don't know if they're padded, just a novelty, for 'bigger' men whom normal briefs do not fit or 'smaller' men who want to look like 'bigger' men. Maybe next time I take one out of the box to inspect it further.

I think that's all the pictures I have for now. I'll post any others that I find..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home